Sunday, January 25, 2009

February 2nd could become "Marmot Day"

Bunny usually stays out of the political scene but this caught my attention:

State of Alaska, Senate Bill 58:
"An Act establishing February 2 of each year as Marmot Day; and providing for an effective date."

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/get_bill.asp?session=26&bill=SB%20%2058

How could I not be in favor of changing "Groundhog Day" to "Marmot Day"? Mind you I have nothing against groundhogs, but serious differences with "The Groundhog". He's had a quite a year wreaking havoc on our weather.

But then I learned a groundhog IS a marmot (genus "Marmota"). Same animal - different name. They are also known as "woodchuck" and "whistling pig" (I like that last one).

How about they just give us a day off for no reason and leave the critter out of it.

No comments: